The Asheville Jewish Community Center is seeking Certified Lifeguards. Our state-of-the-art facility offers a 6-lane, 25-yard competition indoor/outdoor pool with the only one-meter spring board diving board in WNC.
Employment will begin on or before January 1, 2020. Lifeguards are responsible for ensuring the efficient and effective operation of the JCC pool, and for providing a fun and safe environment for our members.
Classification: Full/Part-time; Hourly, Non-Exempt
Reports To: Aquatics and Wellness Director
Summary: The Certified Lifeguard, under the supervision of the Aquatics and Wellness Director, shares in the JCC’s commitment to the highest quality programs while maintaining excellent customer service. Certified Lifeguards are the central point of connection between the JCC and aquatics program participants. Certified Lifeguards support the mission of the JCC by ensuring that every individual using the JCC pool receives a warm welcome while also ensuring that a safe and secure environment is maintained at all times both in the water and out.
High school diploma or equivalent preferred
Red Cross Lifeguard Certification, Red Cross CPR certification and Advanced First Aid certification for infant, child, and adult (required)
Ability to successfully complete all life guarding prerequisites to American Red Cross standards
Ability to lift, push and pull up to 50 lbs
Must be 15 years of age or older
Exceptional interpersonal skills
Exceptional verbal communication skills
Exceptional customer service skills
Ability to work with all age groups
Engaging, Responsive, Professional
Knowledge of Jewish culture, values, and traditions (preferred)
Certified lifeguards are an integral part of the JCC Aquatics Facility. Being alert, knowledgeable, and approachable to all members, guests, and fellow co-workers is a must in providing a safe and enjoyable experience for all.
- Must maintain and be current with all Lifeguard, CPR, and First Aid Certifications and provide documentation of certifications
- Attentive and active monitoring of all member activity in and out of pool
- Maintain clean and proper working order for all emergency equipment, pool equipment, bathrooms, pool furniture, pool, pool deck surface, and pool grounds
- Stay informed about programs and schedules in order to respond to aquatics program or facility inquiries; welcome and help orient new and prospective aquatics program participants
- Troubleshoot and resolve member questions/concerns/special circumstances
- Stay informed of party/pool rental schedules and assist customers to ensure satisfaction
- Enforce all JCC safety and security policies and procedures
- Dress in company-approved clothing
- Successfully work with staff and members of all ages
- Attend staff meetings
- Maintain and enforce agency policies and procedures
All JCC Employees are expected to demonstrate:
- Initiative: Work independently, efficiently and effectively; look for opportunities to take on more responsibility, seek areas of improvement and exhibit appropriate leadership qualities
- Creativity: Think of new ways to improve and streamline workflow
- Ownership/Commitment: Take pride in work; accept responsibility for the final outcome; take an active role in maintaining a clean work environment; and look for professional growth opportunities
- Reliability: Follow through on projects and responsibilities; good organization and time-management skills; prioritize duties without sacrificing quality
- Professional Demeanor: A positive worker and team member; act as a role model; strive to achieve excellence; respect personal and professional boundaries; help to create a positive work environment; deal with conflicts in a respectful and professional manner
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Not locked into one way of doing things; eager to learn and apply new techniques; approach problems in a solution-oriented manner; capable of making decisions in a timely manner with due consideration
- Motivation: Energetic and enthusiastic; work hard to meet or exceed all job responsibilities; able to stay on task without direct supervision
- Affability/Pleasantness: Courteous to customers and other staff; help to create a positive team atmosphere; act in a manner that make others feel comfortable and safe
- Self-Awareness: Able to actively receive feedback by listening and integrating feedback to enhance performance; open to suggestions for growth by being able to accept developmental feedback.
- Attendance and Punctuality: Prepared to begin work at scheduled time; work until shift is done; arrive to meetings on time; communicate schedule or availability changes as required by supervisor
- Communication Skills: Keep lines of communication open with customers, families, advocates, and administration; easily accessible to others
- Alignment with culture, values and mission of the JCC; works with others to achieve organizational goals
Email email@example.com to apply.