Classification: 30 hours per week; Non-Exempt
Start Date: April/May 2021
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary: $16-20 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications
Summary: The Communications Manager, under the supervision of the Executive Director, shares in the JCC’s commitment to its mission: strengthening Jewish identity, celebrating Jewish culture, and building inclusive community. This individual promotes the JCC’s fund development efforts, programs, events, and services using a mix of digital media, social media, print media, and advertising. This individual’s goals are to deepen JCC member participation in programs and events, increase external community awareness of the JCC, and build meaningful and successful donor relationships.
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field
- Experience in marketing, advertising and communications
- Graphic design skills
- Computer skills, including Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office
- Web and e-news design skills, preferably using WordPress and Constant Contact
- Social media content development and management skills, preferably Facebook and Instagram
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment
- Strong desire to learn and create
- Photography and/or videography skills
- Experience in nonprofit fundraising, including direct asks and data management
- Knowledge of Jewish culture, values and traditions
- Criminal background check, negative drug screen
- Develop annual marketing & communications plan for entire organization
- Create and implement strategies to increase awareness with external audiences about the JCC’s value proposition, program excellence, and community events
- Create and implement strategies to deepen member participation in programs and events
- Write, design, and edit electronic and print marketing materials following established JCC Association of North America brand guidelines and local brand personality
- Maintain and strengthen the JCC’s online presence, including website content, SEO, weekly e-newsletter, and social media presence
- Develop relationships with local news media to raise awareness of JCC programs, fundraising, events, and accomplishments
- Solicit, steward, and place advertisements for a variety of JCC departments and events
- Utilize a fundraising plan that includes both individual and institutional targets to plan communications and graphic design elements for campaigns
- Work with executive director to cultivate and steward JCC donors through regular communication
- Establish and work with volunteer Marketing Committee to assist with marketing strategy and results assessment
- Work with volunteer Fund Development Committee and executive director to develop fundraising messaging and communication strategy
- Meet with each Program Director at least monthly to plan marketing/communciations/graphic design needs for each department.
- Develop and maintain Marketing & Communications budget
- Submit monthly reports to Board of Directors
- Implement agency policies and procedures
- Attend and support agency-wide events as requested
About the Asheville JCC:
The Asheville Jewish Community Center has been the home for Jewish life and culture in Western North Carolina since 1940 and continues today to be a vibrant and diverse center. The Asheville JCC’s mission is to strengthen Jewish identity, celebrate Jewish culture, and build inclusive community. 41 full-time and 32 part-time JCC employees enjoy a supportive and collaborative culture, professional development opportunities, and pool membership benefits. The organization built and renovated spaces in 2019 for their award-winning programs that support our evolving community.
Asheville, NC, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, is repeatedly recognized as a top place to live, retire, golf, dine, and more. It has been listed as “#1 Small City for the Arts” and “10 Most Surprisingly Vibrant Food Cities.” Asheville is home to top-rated education and medical facilities. There are wide-ranging opportunities for year-round outdoor activities, access to national parks, and proximity to the major metros of Charlotte, Atlanta, and Nashville.
Interested applicants should email their resume and a cover letter to Ashley Lasher at firstname.lastname@example.org.