Reports To: Youth Programs Director & Associate Director of Youth Programs
Department: Camp Ruach
FLSA Classification: Seasonal, non-exempt
Pay Rate (hourly): $15.00
Benefits: Seasonal employees enjoy a membership at the JCC’s state of the art aquatics center and inclusion in a warm and welcoming center that has served the community for over 80 years.
Job Summary: A Camp Ruach Group Leader is chiefly responsible for providing a developmentally appropriate, fun, enriching summer day camp experience for the children in their care. Group Leaders works closely with staff and children to create a nurturing support system, aimed at providing each child with the highest level of care and the greatest opportunity for physical, social, emotional and intellectual growth. Group Leaders will help implement Camp Ruach’s vision, as laid out by the director and assistant director.
- “Ruach” means “spirit,” and our Group Leaders infuse camp with energy and excitement!
- Design and implement summer camp activities that meet children’s needs and interests.
- Foster strong camp community by helping children develop empathy and conflict resolution skills
- Provide constant and appropriate supervision of a group of 10-25 school age children, and take care of their welfare, health and safety
- Engage in positive, developmentally appropriate interactions with children while setting appropriate limits, providing active listening, problem solving and positive redirection
- Maintain the camp spaces – indoors and outdoors – to provide safe and engaging learning opportunities that encourage children’s participation and comply with licensing requirements
- Ensure compliance with all current NC and DCDEE guidelines within the classroom and outdoors
- Participate in one JCC all-staff meeting
- Attend any required in-service trainings
- Serve as a role model and help guide and facilitate the mentoring of new Group Leaders and LITS (Leaders in Training).
- Co-construct knowledge and understanding of universal values through a Jewish lens
- Ability to learn and maintain proper North Carolina child care licensing laws/regulations
- Ability to communicate with Children, Parents, and Peers
- Ability to plan and lead developmentally appropriate activities for children
- High School Diploma or GED
- Experience supervising children in a group setting
- Experience in Jewish studies strongly preferred
- Basic School Age Care training (provided free onsite)
- CPR/First Aid (provided free onsite)
- Health and Safety trainings (free online)
- Recognizing and Responding to Suspicions of Maltreatment training (free online)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Paid holidays and weather/emergency related closures
- Free, confidential counseling services through our Employee Assistance Plan
- Aquatics membership for employee and their household
- “Learn to Swim” lessons for employee and their household
- Free training and management experience
- A fun summer job that builds community among staff, campers, and families.