The Asheville JCC offers numerous opportunities for families with young children to participate in our community, including our top-rated early childhood education programs, family programs, holiday celebrations, and gatherings.
** **In efforts to reduce all unnecessary visitor traffic through our children’s learning spaces, tours of our early childhood program are temporarily suspended. We will be opening the calendar for tours again in the near future. Thank you for your understanding and assistance in protecting the health of our children and families.** **
At Shalom Children’s Center…
- We teach universal values through a Jewish lens
- We involve each person in creating a strong and healthy community of children, families, and educators.
- We know that all experiences and human interactions have the potential to impact a young child’s development in significant ways, building the foundation for lifelong learning and success.
- We achieve high levels of learning by identifying and supporting the unique and adapting interests and abilities of every child in an environment of interdisciplinary immersion.
- We are uniquely qualified, well-educated, and experienced early childhood educators who are committed to raising secure, curious, and capable children who will make a positive difference in the world.
Our unique curriculum builds a strong foundation.
Shalom Children’s Center’s unique curriculum integrates the ideas and practices of emergent curriculum with the JCC’s Judaic values-based framework for the education of young children. Our teachers partner with each family to make learning a positive experience. Daily and weekly activities are adapted to develop skills and foster concepts that are appropriate for each child’s growing abilities and interests. Children graduate Shalom with a strong foundation for success in reading, math, and science, as well as the ability to think independently and work with others.
Children learn through music in our community song circles on Friday (Shabbat). Children get additional gross motor development with our dance/movement specialist each week, and our award winning gardening program teaches science, nutrition, and environmental stewardship through hands-on exploration. Older children experience the wider community through field trips and build water skills in our swimming pool during summer months.
SHEVA: JCC’s of North America Early Learning Framework
Shalom Children’s Center is part of a larger network of JCC Early Childhood Schools of Excellence. We are able to utilize the resources of the JCC Association Sheva center for many professional development needs. As a staff, we continue to develop as a “Sheva” school, reflecting on the Seven Core Elements of the framework.
Sheva means seven in Hebrew. The number seven has deep roots in Jewish tradition. Its seven core elements are firmly rooted in the latest research on child development.
The 7 Core Elements of Sheva:
- Children as Constructivist Learners
- Early Childhood Directors as Visionaries
- Early Childhood Educators as Professionals
- Families as Engaged Partners
- Environments as Inspiration for Inquiry
- Discover CATCH as Sh’mirat HaGuf (taking care of our bodies)
- Israel as a Key Component of Early Childhood Jewish Education